Friday, February 27, 2009

More About Yesterday's Tours

Since I'm awake, here is the rest of our day yesterday. As I mentioned in the previous post, we visited Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City.

Tianamen Square is the entrance to the Forbidden City. It is a huge square where people congregate. Daniel, you can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square.

The Forbidden City served as the home of Chinese emporers for five centuries. In addition, it was also the ceremonial and political center of the Chinese government. Daniel, more homework - read more about the Forbidden City here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_City. Also, I found this blog that outlines much of rich symbolism within the city: http://www.rccsd.org/MSmith/SocialStudiesChinaBeijingForbiddenCity.htm I started writing about the significance of the colors, numbers, carvings, etc., but why reinvent the wheel!? :)

The Forbidden City is amazingly well-preserved and just spectacular. The uneven cobblestones and many steps of varying sizes and shapes made for some treacherous walking. We survived it but we were all pooped by the end of the day. In total, we walked approximately 2.5 miles to see it all.

I'm using the term "walked" rather loosely because after about the first mile, I realized that I just didn't have the stamina to make it. So, when a nice young man offered to push me in a wheelchair, we took him up on his offer. This is how he makes his living to support his 2 kids - by pushing people in a rickety wheelchair. After I rode in the chair for awhile, Doug started struggling as well. So,we spent the rest of the day trading off time in the chair. I'd ride until he got tired, then he took his turn.

It was Mom, however, who took a tumble. At the very edge of the exit from the Forbidden City, missed a step and down she went. She bumped her head on rail as she went down. I didn't see it and I'm glad I didn't as I would have freaked! She knows me well... her first words were, "Oh I hope Beth didn't see that!" Other than her pride, she's OK. But, I'm guessing she'll be a little sore when she gets up in the morning!

Duing our visit to the Forbidden City, we learned a little about Chinese numerology. Within the city, there are 9 gates through which you must pass to get inside. There are also 9,999 rooms. There is a lot of significance to the number nine. The number 10 represents wholeness and completeness, and is reserved only for the Almighty Power (God). Number 9 is as close as a mortal being can get to 10. It represents longevity, finality, and supreme prosperity. The number 6 is significant in that it represents perfection and prosperity. I found this to be fascinating as Maddie's birthday is 6/6 and mine is 9/9. Based upon the theories surrounding numerology, these numbers pose some very interesting life lessons for both of us.

The Chinese avoid the number 4 as the word for 4 is the same as the word for death, but with a slightly different intonation. There is no 4th floor in our hotel or in most hotels in China (sort of like the number 13 in the US).

To see the rest of our story in pictures, please visit our photo album at http://picasaweb.google.com/grabersnow/TianamenSquareForbiddenCityAndFlyingAcrobatShow.

Last night, we saw the famous Flying Acrobat Show. It was simply amazing. Here are a few videos to give you just a taste...

Thank you all for the many comments and continued prayers and support. We are so blessed to be able to share this journey with each of you. Today we will be visiting the Great Wall and Summer Palace. Tomorrow, our lives will be forever changed as we will meet Maddie for the very first time! Until later... Much Love, Doug, Beth, and Grandma Joanna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't the Forbidden City amazing.
It looks like you had better weather than we did when we were there it was below zero and blowing wind. I think we would have enjoyed it better with the weather you had. So i see you have Catherine as a guide she was also our guide. She was wonderful very helpful and friendly. The count down is on and I am so excited I can't wait to see you and Maddie I am sure i will cry when i see the first pictures of you 3 together. Well i know you have lots to do so goodnight for now get alot of rest because you will need it. Have a safe trip to Nancheng. Talk to you later. Jennifer