Friday, February 27, 2009

A Day of Sightseeing and Soaking In the Culture

We’re pooped. Doug is already asleep and I'm fading out as I'm blogging so I hope this makes sense. It will definitely be short! We’ve had a very busy and physically exhausting day.

I started the day with a good workout in the hotel’s fitness center – got the blood pumping. I missed my workout partner! Melody, too bad you couldn’t be here to work out with me. You would have loved it… this fitness room has top of the line equipment and every machine imaginable, as well as the full gamut of free weights.

Then we met Kris, Shawn, and Kaycee in the hotel restaurant for the elaborate breakfast buffet. While it had some pretty strange food for breakfast, it was very tasty.

They had an omelet station. In this photo, Shawn and Kaycee are waiting for their eggs to be cooked. Doug was helping himself to the many varieties of sausage and bacon on the buffet.
One of the most popular Chinese breakfast dishes is congee. Congee is a rice porridge. These dishes in front of the congee contained various items that could be added to the soupy mixture to make it tastier. Most of these items are pickled something or other. The one I tried as shaped like a tiny conch shell and tasted like nothing I have ever tasted before. The congee by itself was rather good – in a runny oatmeal sort of way. However, the things added to it must be an acquired taste… I didn’t really care for any of them.
One of the tables had a full salad bar spread for breakfast. The fruit from this bar was very tasty – fresh pineapple and watermelon.
The cup on the left is a cup of congee. The white puffy thing on the plate is a steamed dumpling. Also on the plate – watermelon, French toast with chocolate sauce, sausage link (type of meat unknown, very strange texture), salami slice, fried hash brown, spring roll, and a fried egg.
The coffee was like sludge – so strong and burnt that none of us could drink it, even with milk added. I added at least a ¼ cup of milk/cream and it was still this dark! Today, we visited Tiananmen Square, The Forbidden City, and saw a spectacular acrobatic show. Dinner was McDonalds just down the block from our hotel. Not my first choice by any stretch, but Dougie gets what Dougie wants - and tonight it was McD’s.

The Forbidden City tour consisted of lots of walking – close to 4 KM according to one of our informants. Mom and I just got back from the hot tub and my brain is so exhausted that I can’t think so I’m going to upload this post and try to write more tomorrow.

Less than 48 hours to Maddie!! Yes, we are now counting down the hours. We’ll be there soon, sweet baby girl. Mommy, Daddy, and Grandma cannot wait to see you and love on you in person!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beth,

I had just come on to check up on You and WOW things have really progressed fast. So glad to hear You are finally getting Your baby. Have a safe trip and I can't wait to read more.

Marsha